Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Vinnaithandi Varuvaaya

For once Simbhu and Trisha look good and peppy and I want to watch this Tam Chickflick. I hope its not as bad as Laysa Laysa. The crew has done a good job advertising the movie - the posters look great, inspired and "copied" from popular movies like alaipayuthey, dil se, kakka kakka etc.

As for the music, ARR has done a good job. The music is very different. They do not stand up nor will you remember it once the player stops playing. But something mesmerizing about it and something that makes me happy and want to keep listening.

The lyrics are bad - feels like the lyricist did not know how to write words for the different music layout. The words don't flow with the music. The words don't feel the music. Its just there. And the singers just read it out. Maybe we have to ape west - well, thats where the music came from ;-) Write the lyrics before you make the music. I also felt we need more diversity with the male singer - it doesn't go with the spirit of the music. We have Chinmayi, Shreya Ghoshal, Andrea, Bombay Jayasree - but all the male voices sound the same, okay maybe a little different. Having said all this, I just want to keep listening to the songs.

I read very mixed reviews, esp people complaining, this is too much Hollywood influence etc. Blah blah blah you people. Here is what ARR has to say about it: "It is an experimental attempt - Songs are not set in Charanam or Pallavi." - maybe that is why I you could never remember the tunes, like grammatically incorrect sentences - but still mesmerizing :)

It reminds me for the dialogue Surya says before the song "Mundhinam Parthene" from Vaaranam Ayiram. I have listened to this song more than 100 times but I could never repeat what he says. Because it is so very grammatically incorrect - but very romantic ;-) Here is what he says:
naan idha solliye aaganum..
nee avlavu azhagu..
Inga evanum ivlo azhaga oru…
Ivlo azhaga paarthurka maattaanga…and I am in love with you…



Karu says: "This is the dead knell for Tam music.". I understand the urge for change and experimenting with western music - but I wish we come up with our own fusion and not just adopt western music.

No comments:

Post a Comment